Train to become a surgical oncologist in any part of the world by winning the ESSO Training Fellowships in Surgical Oncology in 2022.
The Education & Training Committee of ESSO offers training fellowships in Surgical Oncology to young surgical oncologists around the world in the host institute of their choice.
Fellowship is available for clinical training or research training. The traineeship period should occur within one year.
European applicants may choose to visit European or non-European units, while non-European applicants must choose to visit a European center.
The ESSO Education Committee offers a number of ESSO Training Fellowships to support trainees in Surgical Oncology.
- The aim is to allow young surgeons to visit a specialist center outside of their own country, expand their experience and learn new techniques.
- These fellowships are competitive and applicants require support from the Head of their own department as well as from the Head of the department they wish to visit.
About ESSO Training Fellowships in Surgical Oncology
The ESSO Education Committee offers trainees in Surgical Oncology the possibility to visit a specialist center outside of their own country, helping them to expand their experience and learn new techniques.
The Education and Training Committee grants two types of fellowships each year:
- 8 Standard training fellowships (value 1.500 EUR): from 1 to 3 months
- 1 Major training fellowship (value 6.000 EUR): from 4 to 12 months
The ETC reserves the right to split the major fellowship if 2 candidates are judged to be of equal merit.
The following applies to both types of fellowships:
- The traineeship period should occur within one year following the deadline for application.
- The fellowship position must NOT be salaried.
- The fellowship must take place in a country other than the applicant’s current place of training.
All successful fellows will be expected to write a report about their experience and provide a testimonial and pictures for publication on the ESSO website within 3 months of return from the fellowship.
Level/Field of Study
Fellowship is available for clinical training or research training to young surgical oncologists in the host institute of their choice. Fellowship is awarded in the field of Surgical Oncology.
European Society of Surgical Oncology, Belgium.
European applicants may choose to visit European or non-European units, while non-European applicants must choose to visit a European center. This means that this scholarship is for International Students
ESSO Training Fellowships are targeted at both European and non-European citizens
The Education and Training Committee grants two types of fellowships each year: up to 10 Standard training fellowships and 1 major training fellowship.
The traineeship period should occur within one year. Standard training fellowships duration is from 1 to 3 months and 6 to 12 months for major training fellowships.
The value of standard training fellowships is 2.000 EUR and 10.000 EUR for major training fellowships.
- Applicants must be a specialist, trainee or junior doctor with a declared intention of specializing in a sub-specialty of surgical oncology (breast, upper GI, hepatobiliary and pancreatic, colorectal, endocrine, head and neck, thoracic, skin cancer and melanoma, gynecology, urology, sarcoma).
- All applicants must be or become ESSO members before the start date of the award.
- An applicant must be younger than 40 years of age.
- Both European and non-European citizens can apply. European applicants may choose to visit European or non-European units, while non-European applicants must choose to visit a European center.
- Previous Fellowship recipients will be ineligible to apply for a second award.
How to Apply
Please send back your application form duly completed and all supporting documents by post or via e-mail (ana.galan-at-essoweb.org).
- A CV including present and previous positions held (include dates from and to), relevant publications and presentations to learned societies
- A motivation letter describing the applicant’s area of interest, research plan and reasons behind the visit
- A letter of support from their Head of Department
- A letter of invitation from the Head of the Department they wish to visit
- A proposal budget sheet estimating how the funds will be spent
All documents must be sent to ESSO Secretariat in a single PDF document. Application forms and guidelines can be downloaded from the official website
It is important to read the application procedure and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Before applying, please ensure you have already uploaded your CV to your profile.
Applications are now open, please click the ‘apply now button at the bottom of this page. The deadline for application is 31st October 2022.
Please click here to access the host hospital/institutions/cancer centers registry.