The average Chief of Staff Salary is $135,709 per year. The Chief of Staff is a top-ranked executive position that expands upon an executive’s managing skills. A chief of staff supports executives in their roles and helps the CEO oversees the operations of a company.
The position of a chief of staff is critical to ensuring a successful leadership team. To assume this job role, you need to have strong organizational and decision-making skills. In addition to the salary, most companies compensate the chief of staff with bonuses and incentives.
In this piece, we will highlight the various responsibilities that come with the position of chief of staff and how much they make, and the basic skills required to become chief of staff. You will also learn about the factors that affect the Chief of Staff’s Salary.
What does a Chief of Staff do?
- Act as a liaison between executives and all other departments/levels
- Schedules meetings and plans events
- Provide recommendations and consultation to department leaders to improve teamwork across the organization
- Assist the executive team members to determine and prioritize business strategies based on their schedules
- Determine key performance indicators and how to measure team performance
- Oversee the flow of communication between others and the executive that they are responsible for
- Assist with and ultimately ensure completion of projects by the given deadlines
- Keep the executive organized and aware of any schedule changes
- Ability to make good decisions quickly on behalf of the executive if they are not available
- Keep up to date on industry trends
- Assist in keeping executives aware of ongoing company initiatives, promotions, and marketing initiatives
- Extremely detail-oriented and organized while working with a fast-paced team, often under pressure
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion and professionalism
- Must have great interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with employees of all levels
How much does a chief of staff make?
The average Chief Of Staff salary is $135,709 per year, or $65.24 per hour, in the United States. People on the lower end of that spectrum, the bottom 10% to be exact, make roughly $87,000 a year, while the top 10% make $210,000.
The table below shows the Chief of Staff Average Salary By State
People also search for Assistant Project Manager Salary
Chief of Staff Job- Requirements and skills
The onboarding process for a chief of staff varies by organization. Some companies require a person in the role full-time, while other teams with limited resources need part-time support.
Regardless of organizational needs, there are basic skills every chief of staff must possess to fit into the position. Some of these skills include:
- Track record of success in a project coordination
- Consulting experience with a focus on operations management
- Nimble business mind with a focus on developing creative solutions
- Strong project reporting skills, with a focus on interdepartmental communication
- Experience with budget management
Factors that affect Chief of Staff Salary
- Years of experience: Typically, more experience results in higher pay – up to a point. Similarly, if a chief of staff position calls for someone with 10 years of experience in a particular occupation, and you don’t meet those requirements, you may find yourself on the lower end of the pay scale.
- Performance reviews: Most employers base their pay decisions at least partly on the chief of staff’s performance, this is an important variable when being considered for a pay increase or promotion.
- Number of reports: The more employees a chief of staff manages, the higher the pay in certain jobs. A chief of staff’s level of success is majorly based on the performance of the staff they manage.
- Education: The match between your education and what’s normally required for your job usually affects your pay as chief of staff. Earning a degree from a top program typically has a positive influence on pay, while earning a degree from a school that’s considered weak in a particular field may decrease your earning potential. Additionally, certifications and memberships in professional organizations or trade associations can have a positive effect on pay.
If you do not meet the COS job requirements, you can apply for other job positions. See our articles on 15 Best High Paying Entry Level Jobs
Chief of Staff Job Prospects
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the overall employment of top executives is projected to grow 8 percent from 2020 to 2030, about as fast as the average for all occupations.
The Chief of Staff role comes with challenges but is an immensely rewarding and transformative experience. I hope this guide helps you in your own journey.
FAQs on Chief of Staff Salary
How much is the salary for chief of staff in us?
The base salary for Chief of Staff ranges from $183,904 to $277,739.
How much is chief of staff salary white house?
The average salary of a chief of staff in White house is $179,700 each
Who does the Chief of Staff report to?
The Chief of Staff reports to certain members of the executive team. They may report to an individual executive member, which is usually the Chief Executive Officer (CEO).